RE: bidi discussion list was: Bidi Markup vs Unicode control characters

At 06:24 05/08/09, Addison Phillips wrote:

 >I will note that this is specifically the mission of W3C I18N GEO WG.
 >Providing FAQ information on topics such as best practices with bidi, etc.,
 >are a great help to the community at large---much greater than having our
 >comments fossilized in mail list archives. I would suggest that, instead of
 >writing very long threads here (or anywhere else), the next step would be
 >to work on specific text for a FAQ. A debate about that text would produce
 >more concrete results (and be easier to gain an understanding of) than
 >having to trace threads through the archive... and it would mark a more
 >permanent reference.
 >
 >There are some specific cases (this is one) in which the I18N Core WG needs
 >to form a kind of coherent policy for W3C specifications and their
 >implementation. Non-implementation of internationalization related features
 >is a serious problem for global accessibility of the Web and the I18N WGs
 >face the "lack of implementation" argument as a justification to include
 >"less-and-less" more-and-more frequently.

Another WG that should be involved is the ITS (Internationalization Tag Set)
WG. They are working on guidelines and actual markup proposals for the
internationalization and localization needs of XML documents. My assumption
is that bidi markup for XML documents is already on their radar screen,
but I have copied chair and staff contact for a cross-check.
This may result in something similar to the xml:dir proposed in this
thread, but will most probably be called its:dir rather than xml:dir.
Adding something to the xml: namespace isn't very easy at all.

Regards,    Martin.