Re: IDN - RTL

Chris Lilley wrote:

>On Monday, February 21, 2005, 12:53:49 PM, Najib wrote:
>

>NT> Moreover, domain names are meant to be meaningful and suggestive.
>NT> "www.ALEF5.123.il"  intuitively means for me (a professional
>NT> deformation?) "www.5FELA.123.il". Thats is labels in IDN should remain
>NT> displayed as usual in LTR.  (Which is a contradiction coming from a RTL
>NT> language speaker ;-) ).
>
>You mean, you want to force Hebrew and Arabic companies to register
>their names backwards in the DNS, so that they appear in a readable
>order when displayed LTR (which would require an overide of the normal
>directionality for those Unicode characters)?

I just expressed an impression let by the digits in the example above.

Indeed, the consequence is that
"ABC.DEF.ma" is to  display
"CBA.FED.ma" (actually displayed "FED.CBA.ma")
and
"www.ABC1.2DEF.ma" is to display
"www.1CBA.FED2.ma  (actually displayed "www.FED1.2CBA" (in stead of
"www.FED2.1CBA.ma"))

Why not? Aren't there already restrictions on bidi IDN?

>Isn't the whole point that they just use their normal company names, as
>regular text, and they display the same as normal, like regular text?

I don't know what companies exactly want. I think if my cie name was
'ABD DEF', I'd likely be led to register it as "ABC-DEF" (and not
"ABD.DEF"). And then  type "http://www.FED-CBA.ma" to see
"http://www.ABC-DEF.ma".
Note that I am already forced to type "http://" (though it's not the
same problem).