RE: IDN problem.... :(

Hello Pat,

There is no good way to create *one* table for a language that has
been written with three scripts over the years. But there is a very
easy solution: Create three tables. You can see the registration
for a similar case, Azerbaijani, at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tags. There is also
work underway to allow generative inclusion of scripts
(see http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-phillips-langtags-10.txt
and http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-phillips-langmatching-00.txt).

It is very important to realize that there are several different
ways in which a language can use more than one script:

- Mixing as part of basic text functionality: e.g. Japanese

- Use of different scripts to write the same language at different
   times, in different places,...: e.g. Azerbaijani

- Borrowing of a few characters from another script to use as additional
   characters in a script: examples here are Henqeminem, Heiltsuk,
   Sliammon, Penobscot, and others. (for details, follow the discussion
   on the Unicode mailing list)

There are probably other classes, and finer distinctions can be made,
but it's important to understand that in terms of IDN, these classes
have to be treated differently.

Regards,    Martin.