Re: declaring language in html/xhtml

And your points make sense if one can answer the two questions they raise.

It's not that I somehow think I need a subtag, its that I don't know that I
don't.
(Hmm, I hope all those negatives make sense.)

Yes I would like the list to include the subtag combos, but that is a much
larger task and probably contains more items that are subject to debate, and I
can't commit to that.

tex

Martin Duerst wrote:

> I agree mostly with Jon. Living in Japan and speaking and
> reading Japanese, "ja-jp" looks totally redundant. Just adding
> a country designation to a language tag because you somehow
> think you need one, and you know a related country, doesn't make
> sense. Adding a country (or any other subtag) only makes sense
> if you know two things:
>
> 1) that the subtag in question reasonably identifies a particular
>     subvariant of the language
> 2) that the text in question indeed distinuishes itself from other
>     texts in the primary language by reasonably beloning to the
>     subvariant identified by the subtag
>
> So just because a text originated in Japan does not justify adding
> "-jp" to it.
>
> Tex, if you are starting a list, I suggest you make a list of those
> subtag combinations that make sense, such as en-gb, en-us, en-ie,...,
> it will contain a lot more information. Just listing languages that
> don't really take country subtags won't show what country subtags
> are reasonable for what languages.
>
> Also, please make sure you talk about written language (HTML is
> always written) rather than about spoken language.
>
> Regards,    Martin.

Making e-Business Work Around the World