RE: xml:lang question, markup for things like 'kursee', 'arigato'?

Yes, I think language tagging is soemtimes not as straightforward as it may
seem.

Web Accessibility folks require use of lang (or xml:lang) tagging to help
voice browsers work out how to pronounce or otherwise deal with the text.
This is unlikely to be relevant here, especially if a non-standard
transcription is used, because different orthographic rules would be
expected.  [In fact, if you were to use a clever enough transcription you
might actually want the voice browser to think it was English, eg. If you
are approximating the sound like 'cur-sea' (for 'kursi' - ok, it's not
ideal).]  The point is that the tagging is used for a practical reason here
which may not align with semantics.

In other cases you might apply language information to assist in formatting.
Suppose you had a document containing Arabic vocabulary in Arabic and
transcribed form, though the introduction and instructions, etc., were in
English. If you wanted to increase the size of the text in an arabic font,
but not the transcription, you'd want to make a difference using :lang.  But
you'd need to think about how to mark up the transcription. If the Arabic
text was marked as 'ar' and the Latin transcription was marked as 'ar-latn'
it would still pick up the :lang rule.

Then there's the question of when is a word or phrase in a different
language or not.  Should 'resume' be marked as French?  What about 'a
certain "je ne sais quoi"'?  I think it's a judgement call for many such
things, and sometimes decisions might be based on considerations such as 'do
I think other people's voice browsers will handle this correctly, or should
I call it out?'.

RI

Richard Ishida
W3C