Re: displaying Chinese and Thai characters

Hi Audrey,

The problem is that you are retrieving the string "\u5000\u5001" and not
the characters that you are trying to represent by using an escape
sequence. A properties file is converted from another encoding when it
is read in (and ListResourceBundles are converted by javac to true
Unicode sequences). Another way to say this is that you are really
retrieving the string "\\u5000\\u5001" !

It's important to remember that java.lang.String objects are always
Unicode internally. It is how you convert to/from external sources that
matters. In the case of a database, though, you are retrieving String
objects using JDBC. The conversion is done somewhere else, outside your
control. Presumably you had to write some code to insert \u5000 (etc.)
into your database instead of the character U+5000. You have to reverse
that encoding procedure to retrieve the original character.

Recent mySQL versions (since 8.5) can use the UTF-8 (or UCS-2, aka
UTF-16) encoding of Unicode. Then you just read/write String objects
(which are always encoded as Unicode) to/from the database (and not
worry about encodings) and not mess with escape sequences. This is a far
better choice, since it means that you can also access the data in the
database directly.

Best Regards,

Addison

--
Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture

+1 408.962.5487  mailto:aphillips@webmethods.com
Internationalization is an architecture. It is not a feature.

Chair, W3C I18N WG Web Services Task Force
http://www.w3.org/International/ws