Re: Commonly used fonts for multiscript CSS

On Tuesday, April 15, 2003, 6:44:58 PM, Carl wrote:

CWB> Richard,

CWB> I have a problems with the concept of font-family for i18n work.  If you
CWB> encode in Unicode then you can not use a single font or font-family.

That is why font-family is defined as a prioritized list, not a single
value.

CWB> This is especially true of Han characters which you have no idea
CWB> how to render unless you know the language of the viewer.

This is what selectors are for, including language selectors.

CWB> At times you have to make more than just font changes.  Some fonts may not
CWB> render well at the same point sizes or should not be bolded.  It is also a
CWB> nice to have to be able to pick culturally pleasing colors.

Yes, clearly. That is what selectors are for.

CWB> I can dream can't I.

I would suggest you look at the CSS and XSL specs. You might not have
to dream as much as you thought.