Re: Using UTF-8 with the mailto: method of sending mail

At 11:20 PM 11/24/2002 -0800, Paul Deuter wrote:

>Does anyone know if it is possible to use UTF-8 in a mailto: URL specification?
>
>When I use this with IE and MS Outlook, it seems that only plain text encoded in
>Windows-1252 works.  I have tried encoding the UTF-8 as %HH %HH but those
>octets are still treated as Windows-1252.
>
>Is there a way to encode such an URL in Unicode?

The only valid characters in an email address to the left of the @ sign are a subset of ascii. I forget the RFC number OTTOMH, but I could look it up for you if you really need it. Anything else goes through by the grace of god, but you shouldn't expect it to.

Barry Caplan
www.i18n.com