RE: Problem in showing Japanise Wave dash

Hereis the second note from the Unicode mail archive:

From: David Hopwood (david.hopwood@zetnet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 13:02:20 EST

Mail actions: [ respond to this message ] [ mail a new topic ]

Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> Laura Nelson <lnelson@kenan.com> wrote:
> > We have a situation where an important character, the Japanese "wave
> > character", is lost during transfers from various parts of our software.
> > The root cause is that Windows uses a different encoding than does the
> > rest of the world.
>
> Yep, that's right. This is one of the notorious small list of
> inconsistencies between various mappings of JIS X 0208:
>
> Microsoft Code Page 932 mapping:
>
> 0x8160 0xFF5E #FULLWIDTH TILDE
>
> Alternative JIS X 0208 Shift-JIS mapping (e.g. for the Mac):
>
> 0x8160 0x2141 0x301C # WAVE DASH
>
> Actually, the Unicode Consortium does not take (as yet) a formal
> position on which of these conversions is correct.

OTOH, the cross-reference note for U+301C WAVE DASH is:

  This character was encoded to match JIS C 6226-1978 1-33
  "wave-dash". Subsequent revisions of the JIS standard and
  industry practice have settled on JIS 1-33 as being the fullwidth
  tilde character.
  --> 3030 wavy dash
  --> FF5E fullwidth tilde

The Microsoft CP932 mapping is as correct as any of the other mappings
for Shift_JIS, and better thought out than some of them. In this
particular case, it's not "Windows against the world" - the ambiguities
were in the original JIS standards.

> > Data is entered into our database by one program which uses the more
> > standard conversion to UTF8, and then read by another program using the
> > Windows version. It displays as garbage, because the wave character gets
> > lost in the conversion.

That is probably an omission in the Windows *fallback* mappings, not the
mapping to Unicode, then: U+301C should have a fallback mapping to Shift_JIS
0x8160. In any case, if it's a Unicode database then the "other program"
should be displaying the field as Unicode, not trying to map it back to
Shift_JIS, which will certainly fail in general.

- --
David Hopwood <david.hopwood@zetnet.co.uk>