Re: UTF-8 supporting Japanese characters

At 20:19 02/01/25 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
>On Friday, January 25, 2002, 11:49:07 AM, souravm wrote:
>
>s> Hi All,
>
> >>From some source I came to know that UTF-8 does not support some
>s> Japanese charcaters. Just wanted to verify this point. Is it true ?
>
>Suppose you make up a new Japanese glyph to represent your name. That
>is perfectly legal - it happens for new emperors, for example.

Sorry, but that's not true. Japanese emperors get names composed
of more-or-less everyday Japanese characters, without any special
glyph forms.

For the current and the last two or three emperors, there are
also codepoints in Unicode that combine the two characters of
the name into a single display cell for compact printing with
older technology. But that doesn't mean that new characters are
created.

Regards,    Martin.