Re: Doubt regarding IME

The Japanese character set has the english letters and also digits
encoded twice.
Once as ASCII characters. Again as double-byte (and generally
double-width) characters.
When you use the IME/Hiragana you are getting the double-byte version
and your search routines are not treating these as equivalent to the
single-byte versions.

There are also other characters that represent numeric values in
Japanese, and more generally other languages can have other
representations for numbers.

tex

> souravm wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>

> I’m facing a strange problem with IME.
>

> Here goes the scenario. I’ve written the string 8890 in a text file
> (.txt) and saved it. Now I’ve opened the file and open the search
> dialogue box. At this point I’ve used the IME and changed the language
> option to Japanese (Hiragana). Using IME I typed 8890 and try to
> search the string. The string was not found. However, if I write the
> same string in the text file using the IME, the string can be searched
> in the  above described way.
>
> Please let me know what is the reason behind this observation. Does
> IME use completely different types of encoding for different languages
> even for the numerals ?
>

> Regards,
>
> Sourav

Tex Texin                    Director, International Business
mailto:Texin@Progress.com    the Progress Company
Tel: +1-781-280-4271         http://www.progress.com
Find out about Globalization Empowerment for Progress users
http://www.progress.com/consulting/globalization_empowerment_solutions.htm
For a compelling demonstration for Unicode:
http://www.I18nGuy.com/unicode-example.html