Re: How is Han numeral numbering supposed to work?

First of all, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chiense, Japanese and Korean may use different unicode code point for those chinese number characters- see "'cjk-ideographic'- varients of character list" section in
http://people.netscape.com/ftang/paper/unicode16/part2.html

Second, there are two forms of numbering characters- one for more formal writing one for less formal writing, both are used in Chinese, depend on the context

Third, as you mention- they may have different way to handle "zero" and the first "one" between region- I didn't consider that in the current mozilla implementation yet.

In summary- we should not have only one id for this numbering system- it need more details id to distinguish between them.