Re: International Internet Icons

Tex Texin wrote:

> The "however", that goes with this, is that some icons have been used
> so much in software, that even though they were not international to
> begin with, they become international thru exposure. Just as many
> computer related words become international and a part of other
> languages' lexicons.
>
> The "however" that goes with the first "however" is that as new
> regional markets become computer literate, they have to learn these
> "foreign" symbols from scratch.

I remember being fascinated, the first time I travelled through a non-urban
USA environment, seeing these 'inverted-U'-shaped mailboxes on posts with
pivoting flags and having the 'aha' moment when I realised the stupid mail
icon was based on a particular physical object that was common in one part
of the world....

--
Chris