Re: greek char in UTF-8

Guy Teasdale wrote:

> I am trying to understand how it works:
>
> I want to publish a text which contains non ISO-Latin Charsets. By exemple,
> there are many greek characters in this file:
> http://www.bibl.ulaval.ca/doelec/theses/memoires/1999/ChRiviere/riv007.htm
> I chose to use an utf-8 charset in the Meta tag:
> <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

There are a couple of odd things, firstly the doctype is wrong (this isn't
a frameset) and secondly, there is absolutely no need to use UTF-8 for this
content, becase in fact it only uses ascii. All other characters, suchas
accented letters and greek, are done usingentities or NCRs.

> Everything works fine in Netscape and Internet Explorer IF AND ONLY IF the
> client has the VERDANA font on its computer.

Are the .eot files in place? For MSIE, it should download those (and the
text will then occur in Times). What font subsetting options did you use in
Weft to create these .eot files?

>  Otherwise it displays an empty
> box in place of the greek character.

Thats conformant.

> Is it possible to display all these greek characters in any default font...
> Times New Roman, by exemple.

Yes, if your version of Times Roman has coverage of Greek.

>  What am I missing?
>
> P.S. I prefer to use UTF-8, I don't want to use the solution :
> <FONT FACE="a Greek font">  qwerty </FONT>

Quite right!

--
Chris