Re: Form response charset

Kevin Lee wrote:

> Actually this is the question that I am working on too.
> In other words, if we have
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=x-sjis">
> and ,let say, we use Japanese 95.
> The default input data are in cp932 character set for Japanese Win95.

"x-sjis" is a old Netscape's charset ID for Shift_JIS character encoding,
which is *almost* identical to CP932.

> What
> you are saying is that it converts to UTF-8 somewhere? If so, where? How
> does it work?

As Erik answered in his message, if you have the line below

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=utf-8">

in your HTML document, browser will send inputs back to server in UTF-8.
So, the answer to your question is:

  where: on client
  how: client recognizes charset, converts to it from local encoding before
sending

Taka