RE: Transliteration

>At 12:15 20.10.98 +0100, Carrasco Benitez Manuel wrote:
>>I could write a new proposal using a (new) "t" in the primary
>>language tag.
>>

>this sounds very wrong to me; t isn't a language, nor is t- a family
>of languages that shares something in common.

In RFC 1766, the first characters does not seems to denote a
language or family of languages.  Namely

 i-  for IANA
 x- for experimental

Again, the syntax is secondary and this could be indicated in another
way.

>I would prefer, if this is going to be done at all:
>
>el-script-latin (Greek written with Latin letters)
>el-script-latin-farouk (Greek written with Latin letters according to
>                        Farouk's set of transliteration rules)
>en-cockney-script-ipa (Cockney English written in the International
>                       Phonetic Alphabet)
>fr-CA-script-braille (French-Canadian written in Braille)
>
>Note that there are many examples where one would put the "-script-"
tag in
>positions other than the first one; Canadian French is still fr-CA no
>matter what the representation is.

Fine.

Perhaps using another term; "script" is short and descriptive, but it
could
leave out some transformations.

The name of the transformation could carry more information to avoid
having a syntax that is too complex.

e.g.

 el-tran-latin    (Greek transformed using "latin" )
 el-tran-farouk (Greek transformed using "farouk" )

or

 el-xxx-latin   (whatever string is choosen)
 el-xxx-latin

 t-el-latin        (assuming t- syntax)
 t-el-farouk

The value of the term "latin" and "farouk" would have to be define in
in the register. For example, in the case of "latin" could refer to:

 - Latin script
 - Latin, *the* language
 - Generic for Latin languages

Additional rules would be attached also.

>I would also prefer the script to be documented as a convention, and
>have each specific new scheme or usage registered as a language tag
>in the language tag registry. It never hurts to register....

Totally agree.  There must be a register with the nomenclature, the
"authority" for each transformation,  implies, etc. I  contacted the
TC46/SC2.

Regards
Tomas