RE: Transliteration

À 09:48 16-10-98 CDT, Albert Lunde a écrit :
>(I'm a little bothered by terminology here too; if it was just
>language to language, it's translation, not transliteration).

Nope, the source and target languages matter even in translitteration.

Source: the same characters in different languages, pronounced differently,
will typically be translitterated differently. For example "hanzi", "kanji"
and "hanja" are transliterations of the same Chinese characters from
Chinese, Japanese and Korean resp.

Target: the characters of the target script will be used differently
according to the target language.  For instance, a certain Japanese phrase
will be transliterated to French as "ô negaï chima" and to English as "o
negai shima".

--
François Yergeau <yergeau@alis.com>
Directeur de produit/Product manager