Re: Windows and Mac character encoding questions

Deke Smith wrote:

> I have seen some contradictory information about the character encoding
> for Windows text.
>
> One source said that Windows uses ISO-8859-1 for its English-language
> system, then I saw a thread about the Windows-1252 encoding and how it
> differs from ISO-8859-1.
>
> Does Windows 3.x/DOS use the same encoding as Windows 95/98? I have read
> that WinNT uses Unicode, but is the default encoding under the English
> language system different than the other flavors of Win/DOS? IANA lists
> "Windows-1250", "Windows-1254", etc. but does not list our friend,
> "Windows-1252".
>
> On the Mac, the English encoding is called "MacRoman" by the browsers,
> news clients and email clients. IANA does not list "MacRoman" as an
> encoding scheme, instead it lists, "Macintosh". Which is the acceptable
> usage?

Please understand the chacter I in IANA is mean internet. So it is really
not a *general* character set registeration , but the INTERNET character
set registration. This may be the reason Apple never register MacRoman or
other Mac encoding to IANA. I have ask Peter Edberg to do this severl
times, but so far Apple did nothing about this. It could be the
registeration process is not that fast so people panic.