Re: "UK" or "GB"

At 14:35 7.1.1997, Tom Garland SMI European Software Centre
<tgarland@elc4.Irelan wrote:
>Hi folks,
>can anybody tell me what the current ISO 3166 alpha-2 country code is for
>the United Kingdom - "UK" or "GB"? My ISO3166:1993 spec tells me it is "GB".

The ISO code is definitely GB (like in GBP). This is unlikely to change.

Usually, Internet top-domains use the ISO country codes, but .uk is an
exception from this rule (as are all those 3-character top-domain names).

More on top-domain names:
I read in the latest ISO 3166 newsletter that some people are asking for
non-country based ISO codes to indicate new Internet top-domains, but
according to the current ISO standard, all country codes have to refer to a
territory.

Žorvaršur Kįri Ólafsson (this may get distorted by 7-bit systems)
Thorvardur Kari Olafsson (transcribed into the English alphabet)
Icelandic Council for Standardization          Stašlarįš Ķslands (STRĶ)
Keldnaholt // IS-112 Reykjavik // ICELAND
Phone:+354-587 7000 // Fax:+354-587 7409 // Internet:thorvardur@stri.is