Re: Internationalized CLASS attributes

Haijo Schipper wrote:

> ++ There is another side to this problem as well. Suppose I put
> ++ class=name as an attribute and a Frenchman puts class=nom.
> ++ Sematically these are the same, but there is no way that case conversion
> ++ will help to determine this.
> ++

> Indeed. Having a uniform set of names is in my opinion more useful
> than using class names in a native language. (One can always do
> that for author-defined classes). After all, the element and
> attribute names are in English too, aren't they?
>
> Abigail

For "system" names this is true, but the user does not need to see them
so the language is not important and ASCII will do.

But for author defined classes native language support is needed. I can
conceive an authoring tool that would display element and attribute and
other pre-defined system names in the native language while producing a
correct file in English, but for author defined names the best would be
to write them to the output as is.

--
Jonathan Rosenne
JR Consulting