RE: FW: [Distributed services] What is i18n on web services based webapplications

All:

I really hate posting to 2 lists at the same time, but
I see no other solution to keep the level of
information current everywhere I think it should be
known. In many cases it should be sent to even more
lists, like the i18n-prog, the Unicode, and the ICU
lists. I know that several members of these other
lists are also in the locales list, but not all I want
to include in our discussions.

The reason why the locales list was created was to
focus on locale and language issues in general that go
beyond the topics of the other lists. The
www-i18n-workshop list is focused on i18n internet
issues, which is a big part of our discussions, but
not all. The correct identification of i18n parameters
touches all sorts of areas in our global activities,
beyond computers and the world wide web. Understanding
cultural issues and trying to attach labels to them is
not a trivial task and needs focus. This topic would
be very OT on the other lists.

On the other side we need to form a work group of
members here to start driving the i18n-w3c proposal to
create the new recommendation for w3c. This also means
we will have many parallel posts in 2 lists. The issue
of the caretaker still hasn't been solved. We have
seen many ideas here lately, we need to start
collecting them and pounding them into usable shapes.
All results in the www-i18n-workshop will
automatically have fallback into other non-www areas.

My big question is how can we make sure that all
relevant members of the other lists or on no lists
stay in the loop and can participate. All I can ask is
that current members look around and drag in anybody
who belongs here, especially those that are working on
locales at other organizations and groups. Just like
everybody else I am being flooded with emails from
lists, many get deleted, and I am hesitant to join new
lists. But these lists are necessary for my work and
my general interest in the topic.

I know Yahoo Groups has disadvantages, especially all
the advertisements and truncated replies, but it is
still the most common way to use a discussion list
when you have no place else to go. I am afraid that we
would loose members if we migrate elsewhere, even if
it makes sense, I have experienced that with other
groups. Plus we have advantages here we haven't really
utilized yet, like the chat room, the calendar, the
poll tool, the shared file storage, the database, etc.
Yes, Barry, I know, your site offers a lot of that
too.

So here is the question:
Stay here, discuss here, have parallel posts etc in
other groups, risk being flamed for it
-or-
move to a different list, have OT threads there, get
flamed for it
-or-
move to a new location and list and risk loosing
members or not getting new ones to move there?

To be honest, I am not sure which way is best for our
topic, so I feel for now it is best to leave things as
is. I wish there was a way to combine parts of lists
and filter out cross-posts and parallel posts.

Ideas anybody?

Dave

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-i18n-workshop/.
> No passwords needed, no advertisements. Probably
> some
> length limit, but in any case way beyond what we
> would
> need to worry about.
>
> Regards,    Martin.
>
> P.S.: If somebody could forward this mail to
> locales@yahoogroups.com,
> that would be nice. It probably won't take it if
> it's comming from me.

=====

Dave Possin
Globalization Engineer