Re: Translation de: Personal names around the world

On 14/01/2014 10:45, Gunnar Bittersmann wrote:
> Your English file will be the source code for all future translations.
> Translators might not notice the difference between the two hyphen
> characters when they visually look the same. You can’t be sure whether
> they would copy '‑sdóttir' (with U+2011 NON-BREAKING HYPHEN) from the
> English original or if they would retype '-sdóttir' (with U+002D
> HYPHEN-MINUS).
>
> Your solution is good for the English original, but might not solve the
> problem in translations.
>
> One option might be to escape the non-breaking hyphen:
> '&#x2011;sdóttir'. But I think that '<span
> class="suffix">-dottir</span>' is better readable to the translator,
> hence markup (and the additional rule in the stylesheet) would be the
> better option.
>
> What do you think?

I'd rather not introduce markup to handle what characters can handle,
especially when the text is not going to be translated anyway. Your idea
of using the escape to alert the translator might be helpful. I'll leave
as is for now, but bear that in mind for later.

RI