RE: New Tutorial: Character sets & encodings in XHTML, HTML and CSS

Hello Mati,

Many thanks for your very helpful comments.  See my replies below...

I much prefer that to major substantive disagreements ;-)  Actually these
are all very helpful. Thanks.

> 1) Section "Character escapes" mentions 好 as the
> escape for the
> Hebrew letter Alef.  I don't know how this value was
> obtained, U+597D is
> not a defined Unicode character.  The right escape IMHO
> should be &#x05D0.

好 is the kanji character in the table nearer the top of the page.
Thanks for spotting the incorrect mention related to aleph. Fixed.

> 2) In section "Consider using a Unicode encoding", instead of
> "Unicode encodings support many languages with a single
> encoding across
> all pages and forms, regardless of language."
> I suggest
> "All Unicode encodings support many languages and can
> accomodate all kinds
> of pages and forms containing any mixture of those languages."

Changed to:
A Unicode encoding can support many languages and can accommodate pages and
forms in any mixture of those languages. Its use also eliminates...

> 3) In section "When to do this" following mention of the IANA
> registry,
> add "are" after "there" in "there no disadvantages".

Fixed.

> 4) In section "Precedence rules", add "is" after "it" in "since it
> likely".

Fixed.

> 5) In the title "entities and numeric charater references
> (ncrs)", the
> acronym should  be spelled "NCRs", to be coherent with further
> occurrences, and to distinguish the plural "s" from the
> acronym itself.

Fixed. Thanks.

> 6) In the next paragraph, "are way" should be "are ways".

Fixed.

> 7) The example for CSS escape is *not* terminated by a space, despite
> stating in the previous line that it should be.

Mmm. Ok fixed.

> 8) In section "When to use escapes", the sentence "For example, to
> represent Chinese characters in an ISO Latin 1 document." is not a
> complete sentence, and should be an added clause to the
> previous sentence
> (separated by comma).

Fixed.

> 9) In the table contained in section "Other Unicode
> characters are OK",
> LRM and RLM are commented as "Deprecated in Unicode".  I am very
> surprised.  What is the basis for such a statement?

Oh dear.  I guess that crept in via copying of tables.  Fixed!

> 10) In section "Compatibility characters vary in
> appropriateness, add a
> comma before "in some other cases it denotes a property".

Fixed.

Cheers (Regards),
RI