Re: XHTML Basic 1.1 and setting input field to numeric mode

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 05:05:55PM +0200, Luca Passani wrote:

> > We /are/ developers
>
> sure. You are. I am not denying you are developers. But are you
> developers who understand other developers and, above all, the variation
> in background, preparation, actual needs that characterize developers'
> lives and work?

  Yes. But more to the point we are developers who understand, and work
  with, the needs of browser developers, content developers, AND end
  users.

  That's a standards process in a nutshell.

> are you building standards that will help people do their jobs, dirty
> jobs, underpaid jobs, way-too-little-time-to-do-properly-jobs,
> need-to-interface-to-a-legacy system-jobs,
> need-to-deal-with-crazy-requirements jobs?

  We are building standards - with caveats for the fact that we are,
  alas, only human - to help users access content, to help developers
  create good, high quality content, and to aid other developers in
  creating applications that can do both.

  Are we creating standards that will, basically, contain everything
  one, or the other, developer want? Not necessarily, no. Some things
  will be added, and some removed, that have been shown to be functional
  or non-functional.

  I'm afraid it won't necessarily include features added because there
  is no proper quality process or project manager on a certain job
  out there.

  Your requirement for STYLE is one, out of many, requirements that we
  need to balance.

> utopian view of what the world should be. Well, wake up. People need
> tools to do well in their job, not tools that try to force them to buy
> someone else's view of what their tools should be.

  I'm sorry you feel this way. We are trying to provide the best tools
  for the job, and the STYLE attribute isn't among them. The consensus
  today is that it mixes presentation in with the code, and it makes
  for code which is awfully hard to maintain.

  And for a developer, hard-to-maintain is anathema. Surely even in your
  field of work you'd like to be able to go back and update code without
  finding yourself having to hunt one elusive little STYLE somewhere in
  one out of a number of templates which muck up the new layout?

--
 -  Tina Holmboe           siteSifter                  Greytower Technologies
                 http://www.sitesifter.co.uk          http://www.greytower.net