Re: Getting beyond the ping pong match (was RE: Cleaning House)

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> If we follow the draft we actually find that the burden of explaining
> what real practical problems can occur is on the proponents of the idea,

The burden of proof is on the ones making the claim.  The claim is that
predefined classes create real, practical problems.  Prove it!

Some of the classes were chosen because they are widely used.  We have
statistics to show that, for example, copyright is the 9th most widely
used value.  What is the problem with using assigning a definition that
is compatible with the dictionary definition of the term?

http://code.google.com/webstats/2005-12/classes.html

> Finding out about this would have been a simple 10 seconds web search
> for you; you either did this but chose not to tell us about it, or you did not
> do it. Clearly neither would add credibility to your argument.

I haven't made any arguments for or against predefined classes.  I'm
only asking those who are objecting, to more clearly make their case and
back it up with evidence.

>     [...] but after http-equiv=Content-Type
>     being made invalid I fully expect even the most outrageous nonsense
>     to come out of the "WHATWG", so, who knows.

Care to elaborate on this?  What is the real problem created by
forbidding that value, given that <meta charset="UTF-8"> has been
provided as a working alternative for conforming documents?

Is it just because it's already widely used, and you consider forcing
authors to change to the new shorter version a problem?

In the past, before <meta chaset=""> was added, the spec did make this
conforming:

Although most of that is just useless boilerplate code, I'd be ok with
making it conforming in addition to the <meta charset="">.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/