Re: Cleaning House

David Woolley wrote:
> [...] HTML4 requires that the document be valid with or
> without the document.writes executed, but I think the HTML5 rules allow
> the script to generate unbalanced tags.

No it doesn't.  Why would you assume such a thing?

> An alternative, also with a script problem, would be to require HTML5
> browsers when running with permission to write to the local machine
> (i.e. not in kiosk mode) to force a user dialogue offering to save a
> corrected version on the completion of document loading (or page exit if
> the page was incompletely loaded - some pages are open ended).  That
> would shame the author as well as making it easy to fix.  It would
> require that a DOM without script manipulations be maintained, in the
> case of well behaved scripting.
>
> The big problem with the naming and shaming approach is that the first
> browser to opt out is likely to gain market share.

No, the big problem with that approach is that end users, who really
don't care how the site is coded, get caught in the middle of a war
between hostile UAs and authors who make mistakes.  It's the end users,
and ultimately browser vendors, who will lose in the end.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/