Re: Control Text-file Embedding in HTML-docs

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:24:42 +0200, David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 08:19:51AM -0500, Shane McCarron wrote:
>> FWIW, in XHTML2 you can accomplish what you are looking for here with
>> the src attribute, which works on everything.
>
> I'm not looking for that. Could you respond to the message you are
> responding to please?

That's not very fair. The top level posting of this thread says:

	"Possible Solution
	1. A new version of the HTML specification could add a parameter which
	controls how an inserted text-file is handled in the HTML-document."

and Shane answered that indeed that is exactly being done.

There are tons of use cases for templating in XHTML, both statically and
dynamically, and indeed some solutions have been created using PHP, JSP,
ASP, and so on (and indeed Javascript).

XHTML2 allows you to template statically using src= on all elements, and
dynamically using <output/>.

I covered this briefly at my keynote at the European Information
Architecture, under the heading "Essence".
http://www.w3.org/2006/Talks/10-01-steven-euroia/#essence

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton