Re: [html] Elements within "title"?

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Barry wrote:
>> The specs are clear enough that both forms of the title equivalent, so
>> including both or two of either should be considered an error by the
>> rendering engine
>
> Where exactly does the spec specify that it is an error to include both
> <title> and <meta property="title">?  Are you just making an assumption
> about it's intended meaning?

If identical titles are given then it's not an issue when rendering the
title, but if two different titles are given then it's an error based on
the specification that you quoted even though the word "error" isn't
used. It wouldn't be logically valid. I think of that as an error.

>> and it's not practical to specify how every possible error should be
>> handled.
>> In this case, I suggest a warning from the validator if two titles
>> exist and an error if the titles' content differs.
>
> If it can't be specified, how can it possibly be implemented?
> Programmers would be forced to make assumptions about the parts of the
> spec that are poorly defined, or completely undefined, and different
> programmers will almost certainly make different assumptions.  Different
> assumptions lead to different implementations that are not interoperable.

If someone tries creating a webpage in a way that the spec doesn't
indicate will work (if the person uses "logically invalid" code, or
whatever), then there's no correct way to render it. Standardizing agent
behavior for logically invalid code would be based on a guess about the
intention of the person who made the error. Maybe W3C can make a better
guess than browser developers, but I wouldn't have them bother. An error
message pointing to the error during validation is the correct way to
handle it.