Re: [html] Elements within "title"?

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> You can replace <sup>2</sup> by &sup2; or the superscript two character
> itself, but you can't replace italicized E, m, and c in any similar
> manner. The use of italics for physical quantities is a well-established
> convention and affects the meanings of symbols: italicized "m" stands for
> mass, upright "m" stands for meter. If a document teaches physics,
> shouldn't it use correct notations in its title, too?

I think using a second element is ugly but workable (ugliness is often
the cost of backwards compatibility and ease of implementation), and
your lang usecase is an important one. I'm confused by this mathematical
symbols use-case though. Couldn't one use the mathematical symbols from
Unicode for this purpose? e.g. U+1045A for italicized "m". (Admittedly
it would probably be an improvement if we had a <symbol title=""/>
element, and admittedly only some UAs know how to fake display such of
characters anyhow.)

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis