Re: Local entities in XHTML

On 11 Dec 2007, at 15:30, Yves MARCOUX wrote:

> 1- Don't you think that, if a file is served with a "close enough"
> type (or extension, for a local file), the browsers should infer
> from the namespace & DOCTYPE that the file is actually XHTML? My two
> cents is that it would be a safe inference to make, but maybe I am
> overseeing something.

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2000Sep/0024.html> was
advice from the HTML WG recommending the current behaviour of
browsers. The email that it quotes gives reasons for detecting whether
a document is XHTML (and not just conforming XHTML), and concludes
with asking if they should sniff at all.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>