Re: HTML5 script start tag should select appropriate content model according to src

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> More to the point, even if "we" want it, is it realistic to expect
> casual authors to produce semantic markup?

I suspect that most casual authors would be just as happy with sending
final form over the wire, in which case the only revisable form that
needs to exist is that proprietary to the authoring tool.  (You lose
accessibility advantages, but that wont' concern most authors.  Google
already indexes final form (PDF) documents.)  They might even be happier
with final form, as the appearence would be more predictable.  The real
thing that stops them is that they don't understand the technology well
enough to consider that there might be alternatives.

If you look at tools like ASP.NET and MS Reporting Services, they use
HTML to generate essentially fixed format documents, and, in the latter
case, offer PDF and bitmaps as well.  ASP.NET is Windows forms on web
browsers, and only uses HTML because web browsers use it.

Also, as has been pointed out, and as Apple's iWeb demonstrates, authors
can be quite happy with only div, span, img and a sent over the wire in
the body.  With semantic free HTML, almost everything is in the style
attributes.  That suggests that HTML5 has far too many element types for
that market.