Re: HTML5 script start tag should select appropriate content model according to src

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> Do you realise how much time we would waste by starting with HTML4
>> and removing/replacing with features from HTML5, just to end up
>> with a spec equivalent to the HTML5 spec we have now?  A much
>> better approach would be to start with the much more mature HTML5
>> spec and raise issues against the specific sections you have
>> problems with.
>
> This is a joke, right ?

No, I'm absolutely serious.

> How can you possibly claim that the HTML5 specification is "much more
> mature" than HTML 4.01, when the latter has existed since 24 December
> 1999 whilst the former is still no nore than a "work in progress
> [that] is changing on a daily if not hourly basis" ?

HTML4 was abandoned long before it was interoperably implemented and it
never will be (at least not in any UAs designed to handle the web).
Although it is officially a Recommendation, you have understand that
what was called a Rec back then, is roughly equivalent to what would be
called a Candidate Recommendation these days.  Yet, had it been
developed with the same design principles as HTML5 is, I doubt it would
have even made it to CR.

These are a few of the ways in which HTML5 is more mature than HTML4:

* It already includes most widely used features from HTML4.
* It defines semantics much more clearly than HTML4 did.
* It defines processing models that are compatible with the real world,
HTML4 does not.
* It defines several widely used features that are widely supported, yet
previously undocumented.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/