Re: HTML5 script start tag should select appropriate content model according to src

David Woolley wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> HTML5 has not included most deprecated elements, though it has revived
>> several features that were wrongly deprecated, like <menu>, <iframe>,
>> <ol start=""> and <li value="">.
>
> <menu> was, I believe, dropped because it was rejected by the market
> (browser developers refused to render it different from other sorts of
> list, so authors devised non-list syntax ways of doing menus, e.g.:

It has now been improved significantly.  It can now be used to create
toolbars and context menus.

> The problem with <iframe> is that you cannot link to the result of
> following links in iframes, so iframe using documents can't be first
> class members of the web (where the web means links between pages, not,
> as popularly misunderstood, links between routers).

That depends on what iframes are used for.  That could be considered a
feature for some use cases.

> I was suprised to discover that some extremely heavily used
> presentational elements and attributes have been removed.

Are you saying you were surprised to discover we weren't developing a
presentational language?

> I'd like to develop on that as a contradiction to the design aim to
> work well in tbe real world,

You might be equally surpised to learn that the spec will be defining
all widely used and supported presentational features in due course.
However, that doesn't mean their use will be conforming.

There is no contradiction of that design aim.  There is a significant
distinction between what is considered conforming, and what browsers
actually have to support.  For example, you may have noticed that the
parsing algorithm contains requirements for parsing many presntational
elements.  Authors cannot use those in conforming documents, but the
fact is they do get used and browsers have to support them.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/