Re: HTML5 script start tag should select appropriate content model according to src

Tina Holmboe wrote:
> I do /not/ expect the W3C to simply take aboard a document created by
> an industry group and in rather dire need of revision. It's not good
> enough.

Why isn't it good enough?  Could you be a little more specific about
what is wrong with it?

> It has the entirely wrong focus, has started off on the wrong
> foot, is huge, unwieldy, and - my personal view - badly written.

What is wrong with its focus?  In fact, what do you think the focus is,
and what, in your opinion, would be the right focus?

> At this point in time I suggest we start with 4.01 Strict,

HTML 4.01 is extremely poorly defined, it is not interoperably
implemented and does not reflect reality.  Why would it be a better
start than HTML5?

> toss out deprecated elements

HTML5 has not included most deprecated elements, though it has revived
several features that were wrongly deprecated, like <menu>, <iframe>,
<ol start=""> and <li value="">.

>  and *everything presentational*

HTML5 doesn't, AFAICS, include any other features that could be
considered presentational.  Of those, <font> is the only one I would
agree with dropping.  Its inclusion is very much disputed and I suspect
it will be dropped in favour of allowing style="" on almost any element,
or possibly dropped entirely in favour of scoped stylesheets.

> merge the good ideas from WA1, and start with the resulting draft.

Do you realise how much time we would waste by starting with HTML4 and
removing/replacing with features from HTML5, just to end up with a spec
equivalent to the HTML5 spec we have now?  A much better approach would
be to start with the much more mature HTML5 spec and raise issues
against the specific sections you have problems with.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/