From: www-html-request@w3.org [mailto:www-html-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Kelly
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 3:26 PM
To: Jukka K. Korpela
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: [XHTML1.1] Error in Conformance Definition document?

On Monday, April 02, 2007 2:30 am Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> The statement "XHTML 1.1 documents SHOULD be labeled with the Internet
> Media Type text/html as defined in [RFC2854] or application/xhtml+xml
as
> defined in [RFC3236]." is apparently meant to change the policy.
> Previously, application/xhtml+xml was clearly favored for XHTML,
although
> text/html was allowed for specific purposes (and it is hard to see how
> XHTML 1.1 documents could fit into this, especially since XHTML 1.1
has
> nothing resembling appendix C of XHTML 1.0). Now both are mentioned
with
> no expressed preference, and text/html is mentioned first!
>
> Formally there is no problem in referring, in a draft for a
_normative_
> document, to an _informative_ document that contradicts the normative
> document in some way, or at least has a different tone of voice. Note
that
> the reference says: "For further information on using media types with
> XHTML, see the informative note [XHTMLMIME]." It's an _informative_
> (non-normative) reference if I ever saw one.

I bring it up because I, like others who are keeping an eye on HTML &
XHTML,
generally tell people that if they want to use XHTML 1.1, they should be

using application/xhtml+xml, because XHTML 1.1 with text/html is
technically
not permitted.  This is the first time I had someone counter with "Yes,
W3C
says to serve XHTML 1.1 with text/html!" and have that link sent as some
sort
of proof...

I was wondering what the root cause was, since it contradicts a LOT of
discussion, what people have been told for a few years, and the rest of
W3C's
own documents on XHTML and proper MIME types.  I was especially
surprised to
find the "more details" document says the very opposite of the sentence
I'm
referring to!

--
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ - Get Firefox!