Re: Metadata (was: Re: Number, Date, Time, Quantity)

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 11:49:33 +0200, Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
wrote:
>> The other problem is of course that metadata can be incorrect and if
>> enough people add incorrect metadata it will be ignored again (happened
>> before to the <meta> element for instance).
>
> I really don't understand why you have posted this Anne, particularly
> starting a new thread with a fanfare, as if it's some kind of novel
> discussion.

It was just a thought and given that the current subject was pretty vague
I thought I'd update it.

> Yes, metadata can be used for the benefit of mankind, and yes it can
> be 'misused'. But since knives, horseradish, hedge-trimmers,
> aeroplanes, camels, and just about everything we know also fall into
> this very broad category, I think it's best not to fill the list with
> such discussions.

I think it's pretty relevant. For instance, the Microformats community
have developed formats where metadata is mostly visible so end users can't
be easily confused as you have with hidden metadata.

> I think we all know that we're not achieving utopia as we propose and
> develop our solutions, but plenty of 'good stuff' will come from using
> metadata, even if some 'bad things' might happen on the way.
>
> This is a non-debate--I really hope that we don't now get a great long
> thread that pretends to be a debate.

You don't have to read any of it. Don't get upset over nothing.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>