Re: Tim BL's HTML WG announcement and WHAT WG

I'd like to pass over any political overtones
in either Tim BL's original message or Henri S's
reply and focus purely on technical issues :

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Does the W3C now accept that HTML is not in practice an
> application of SGML?

Why do you believe this to be important, Henri ?

> Does the W3C now subscribe to the view that the
> engines that matter the most are Gecko, Presto, Trident and WebKit
> and if they interoperate, their common behavior is what gets specified?

Is Internet Explorer based on any of these engines ?  If
not, then the list needs to include IE's underlying engine.

In addition, if the role of the W3C is simply to to place
its seal of approval on what /is/, rather than on what
/should be/, then I for one would find that a very
disturbing (not to say depressing) state of affairs.

Philip Taylor