Re: xhtml 2.0 noscript

On 7/25/06, Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 19:24:30 +0200, Johannes Koch <koch@w3development.de>
> wrote:
>
> > I think, whether you need an alternative (noscript) for the scripting
> > depends on what is done in the script. If essential functionality is
> > added via scripting, a noscript alternative _is_ needed.
>
> Here is an example of how to do it without noscript (there are others).
> <noscript> is only needed when document.write is used.

>     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
> <head>
>    <title>No script alternative</title>
>      .secret {display: none}
>    <script type="text/javascript">
>      function go() {
>          document.getElementById('noscript').className="secret";
>          document.getElementById('hasscript').className="public";;
>          return true;
>      }
>    </script>
> </head>
>    <h1>A noscript alternative</h1>

noscript is a convenience. That's all. While it's possible to do as
you suggest, noscript is much easier to read and much cleaner. It
produces a nicer output for search engines and it's a standard way of
saying what you just put there. It also doesn't rely on CSS which may
also not be supported.

--

Orion Adrian