Re: [XHTML 2.0] emphesis

Jukka K. Korpela schreef:
>> For those interested, Wikipedia article
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emphasis_%28typography%29 is sufficiently
>> good for explaining what is emphasis and how it's achieved.
>
> Wikipedia is useless as a reference in any constructive discussion,
> except perhaps as a reference to a text sample (much like we might
> refer to inscriptions on a toilet wall). Besides, even the URL
> suggests that the page is about _expressing_ emphasis in typography
> rather than explaining what emphasis _is_ (as a device- and
> representation-independent concept).

Nonsense. That seems to be a popular preconception, makes one look more
‘academic’ to dismiss Wikipedia immediately.

Let’s talk about the matters, and the actual content of that article,
and not dismiss a valuable source of information on beforehand. And then
if it is the case, you can always state that according to you the
contents of that Wikipedia article is incorrect.

~Grauw