Re: [XHTML 2.0] emphesis

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, Ognyan Kulev wrote:

> In my view, <em> is emphasis
> <em>in flow of text</em> and in typography this is usually achieved by
> italics, and nested emphasis usually alternate roman and italic. Again
> in my view, <strong>&lt;strong&gt;</strong> is used when page is seen
> quickly and you need to find "points of interest", usually achieved by
> bold, but it may be underline for example.

That's more or less my understanding of the real idea behind <em> and
<strong> in classical HTML. I'm afraid the situation hasn't been
it's for indicating "points of interest"? What about emphasizing entire
paragraphs, such as a summary?

In typography, italics has traditionally been used in conjunction with
serif fonts, and it often works poorly with sans-serif fonts. This is
often the real reason for using <strong> (or, let us be realistic, <b>) in
for emphasis, instead on <em> (or <i>).