Re: code and blockcode

Karl Dubost schreef:
> It shows also how your ascii art didn't appear in good shape in my
> mailer. Everything was broken because I had a proportional font.

Er, my mail wasn’t HTML. So it doesn’t ‘show’ anything.

Had it been HTML, it would have shown up properly:

   1            2
┌─────┐      ┌─────┐
│     │      │     │
│ bb. │ ───> │Sales│
│ com │      │Force│
│     │      │     │
└─────┘      └─────┘

and:

 Register     Confirm    More info
┌─────────┐      ¦      ┌─────────┐
│Name     │      ¦      │Country  │
│[_______]│      ¦      │[_______]│
│Email    │      ¦      │Company  │
│[_______]│ ──────────> │[_______]│
│Password │      ¦      │Job      │
│[_______]│      ¦      │[_______]│
│     [OK]│      ¦      │     [OK]│
└─────────┘      ¦      └─────────┘
        │        ¦        │
        ├─────────────────┘
        v        ¦
┌─────────┐      ¦
│Name     │      ¦
│[_______]│      ¦
│Email    │      ¦
│[_______]│      ¦
│Password │      ¦
│[_______]│ ──────────> ( Submit to SalesForce )
│Country  │      ¦
│[_______]│      ¦
│   ...   │      ¦
│     [OK]│      ¦
└─────────┘      ¦
 Combined        ¦
 Register        ¦
 Form            ¦

> I think it would be a lot more useful to try to encourage MUA* to
> implement an interoperable  profile  of HTML for things which are a
> bit more evolved. Then a simple SVG tiny authoring tool inside the MUA
> could do a lot, or generating a version in PNG and even could be
> exported as ASCII ART. :)

Well, it’s not like having <pre> in XHTML would make that impossible…

Anyway, I merely meant to illustrate that preformatted text *is* being
used in a sensible manner.

What’s more, my second argument was about that if there is no <pre>
element there is no way for XHTML to contain text which is in essence
preformatted, such as plain-text email messages or a textfile in XHTML
2.0. Those are pretty essential applications for a document format on
the web, and I don’t see how they could work without <pre>.

Regards,

~Grauw