Re: XHTML Print & DTDs

Am Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2006 13:20 schrieb Anne van Kesteren:
> >>    6.  What I wish to develop is an XHTML-Print PARSER.  Would DTD
> >>  affect the
> >>    way I should parse the document?  Should I parse differently for the
> >>    strict, differently for transitional, differently for frameset and
> >>    differently for print10?
>
> You should use an XML parser and ignore the DOCTYPE. Validating parsers are
> a myth.
With that attitude - yes.
But  luckily, noone is forced to share that attitude, and I strongly recommend
to use validation and only valid documents whenever possible.
And it definitely is possible quite more often than people think it is, even
for AJAX documents.

Examples: It IS possible to
* use <script type="text/javascript"> instead of <script
language="JavaScript">
* put <frameset> in the correct location
* use <span> instead of <font>
* use <br/> instead of <br> if the document claims to be XHTML
* not mix HTML with XHTML in general (where problematic, e.g. empty elements)
* not use undefined attributes like leftmargin, topmargin, marginheight etc.
* not specify an attribute twice for the same element

Look, even Microsoft managed to get a valid website (at least their start page
is valid now).

So what's the problem with validation?

Usage of Validating parsers prevent users from making mistakes in the first
place.

XHTML is our chance to finally introduce validation. So why not use it?
--
Christian Hujer
Free software developer