Re: Question about XHTML 2.0 and content type

On 2/2/06, Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> Ahem, In XHTML 1.0, it nowhere says that it MUST NOT be served as
> text/html. It's even explicitly said (in a normative section) that this
> may be done: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#media

Only for those documents which follow the guidelines set forth in
appendix C may it be done, since Appendix C. is contradictory (I am
still awaiting responses to my issues on the contradictions) it is not
actually possible to follow them, and use stylesheets for example.

> XHTML 2.0 will still be a
> working draft for a while, and I've read comments from some IE
> developers that application/xhtml+xml is on their radar, so maybe it'll
> be there in IE8 or something. Who knows.

XHTML should get a diferent mime-type than application/xhtml+xml
otherwise we cannot content-negotiate it with clients that support
XHTML 1.1 but not 2.0.

Jim.