Re: Design question about formats based on XHTML 2

David Woolley wrote:
>> What would be a good way to markup our sections? The role attribute
>> sounds like a candidate but looking at the XHTML2 specification it
>>

> If the markup is domain application specific, use the X in XHTML and
> extend XHTML by invoking elements in your own, application
> specific namespace.  Ideally get some industry level agreement on
> this, rather than inventing a proprietary one.
>
> In my view, role is for extensions to cover features that are
> very common on web sites, but can be ignored by simple viewers,
> without loss of information. Even then, I'm uncomfortable that they
> are usurping the X in XHTML.

In general, it is far easier to define domain-specific roles and their
taxonomy than to extend XHTML's content model with new elements and/or
attributes.  While XHTML is designed for extension, and the
Modularization architecture is such that it is *possible* to define new
elements, it is not for the meek.  The proper construction of extension
modules and the integration of those modules into a new markup language
is challenging.  It is far easier to take advantage of built in
extension mechanisms such as the role attribute if, as this submitter
indicated, all they are looking to do is annotate their content so it is
more readily machine processed later.