Re: sub/sup (was Re: samp, kbd, var)

magick wrote:

> What is a superscript letter/number is part of a name?

Then HTML would be insufficiently specific to mark it up, and another
language (or an additional, optional module) should be used instead.

> Take for example, the anime and manga Ranma<sup>1/2</sup>
>
> Now I suppose you could write it as Ranma1/2, but that would be incorrect.
>
> Same can be said for subscript.
>
> So let's say that a web author has a list of  book if manga, either it's
> a reference site for these books, or it's a retail site selling them,
> doesn't really matter for this example.  The author wants to note the
> manga listed above, since he isn't using <sup> for presentation but
> rather as part of a valid name to a product, it becomes structural.

Take futurist poetry, which has certain examples more akin to a visual
layout (rather like russian constructivist graphic design) and a
deliberate use of bold, italics, colour. To mark it up, does that mean
HTML needs to include presentational markup and reintroduce
elements/attributes for size, colour, etc? No, it means that HTML isn't
adequately equipped to deal with marking up that type of content, which
would probably be better codified in SVG or similar.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/