Re: XHTML Applications and XML Processors [was Re: xhtml 2.0 noscript]

"Mark Birbeck" <mark.birbeck@x-port.net> wrote in message
> My argument was not that the entire 1Mb document must be fully
> downloaded and parsed before it can be processed; my point was that
> the behaviour of two processors, one that *does* wait until the
> document is fully parsed, and one that makes use of the document 'in
> some way' before it is fully parsed, should be to all intents and
> purposes the same.

I can appreciate that, but that means you cannot change a document in
response to an event - even something as trivial as updating a value of a
text input in response to another, couldn't work as the infoset is different
before and after load.

> For <script> we might say:
>
>  The contents of a script element are not executed until receipt of the
> 'load'
>  event.

As idealistic as you are wanting to be that is not compatible with user
experiences required today, unless there's nothing in the initially loaded
document and everything is added with script to give the required user
experience, that would be a retrogade step.

>we will get the same *behaviour*.

I appreciate your aim, I just don't think it is useful, if you're going to
have the broken user experience suggested in this thread, I particularly
don't think it's useful simply to give some idealistic idea of
interopability of document.documentElement.lastChild.appendChild( ) which is
something that people don't need to use.

We have interopability today on the web in this area, and we don't rely on a
processing model as you describe, the goal of having an XML document in some
way unchanging during load seems an entirely pointless one that can only
harm the web.

Jim.