Re: [XHTML 2] Embedding Attributes Examples

Jim Ley wrote:

> [moved to www-html for discussion]
> "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
>
>> Jim Ley wrote:
>>
>>> The Example

>>> Is poorly chosen, as it cannot be styled in a way appropriate to
>>> both a raster PNG and a table,
>>

>> Such issues are the domain of the stylesheet language.  The only
>> reason that example cannot be styled differently now is because CSS
>> does not yet provide a mechanism to select replaced elements.
>

> I agree that this is much in the domain of the stylesheet language,
> however the example is misleading, in that it is currently completely
> useless in the real world, as exampled by a Working Group Member in
> this forum only a couple of days ago.
>
> Specifications do not live in isolation, and unless XHTML 2 is going
> to wait until there is a CSS specification of the same maturity as it
> and requite that for styling, it should continue to be compatible with
> the CSS 2 it is currently referencing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim Ley.

While I agree with the "problems" of this example, I must agree with
Lachlan's comments, in that the example is completely correct XHTML 2,
and thus bears no need to be changed.

CSS authors can even (with CSS3 Selectors) check the exact src
attribute, or even check for the existance of an src attribute to style
differently, though this is "slightly" problematic if the content cannot
be loaded by a specific UA, issue's such as this should be considered by
the XHTML 2 author, and with the advent of this issue, my hope is that
someone could propose a CSS change to reference this need.

Specs are not standalone, yes.  Though they should be strongly
targetted, and XHTML 2's goal is structural/content not presentation,
thus the CSS issue is not one to warrant _any_ change in the examples or
actual uses of the spec [imho].

~Justin Wood (Callek)