Re: [XHTML 2] Embedded Resources containing links

Moved to www-html as this is discussion on the spec.

"Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
> Jim Ley wrote:
>> and chicken.xhtml containing a link to donkey.xhtml, does the paragraph
>> get replaced or does the parent document.
>
> I would expect this to have the same behaviour as this XHTML1/HTML4
> fragment:

There is no defined behaviour in XHTML 1 and HTML 4, indeed there is no
interopability between user agents here, the behaviour depends on the
content-type of resource in different user agents.

>> Both behaviour is desirable, please provide a mechanism for the author to
>> suggest what happens.
>
> target="_parent" or target="_top" would serve this purpose;

They would serve the purpose in some cases, but only in cases where the sub
document has the ability to specify a target, not all document types that
support hyperlinking do.  It also requires changing the content of the
embedded document, this means that it's not possible to use for example a
SWF or Video in multiple places, some of which require the top document to
change, others just the child.   Equally there's no mechanism to only change
the middle of multiple nested embedded attributes.

> but are these predefined target values from HTML 4 going to be defined for
> XHTML 2, or is XHTML 2 only going to leave all values beginning with '_'
> as reserved and with no defined meaning?

Can I suggest you raise this as a seperate issue, it's very logical, and the
Working Group members have suggested that seperate issues are easiest to
track rather than including it with mine (which is why of course I just sent
40 odd seperate ones, when previously I would've normally sent many of them
all together as a single issue - the ones against ismap/usemap for example.)

Regards,

Jim Ley.