Re: [XHTML2] How are UAs to interpret <h> and <hx> elements?

David Woolley wrote:
>>Then that would make <h> a separator in some cases too. e.g.
>
> I think that is simply a side effect of not being able to specify an
> adequate content mode in the formal language.  The text says:
>
>    The heading for the section is the one that is a child of the section
>    element.
>
> in which the use of "The" implies only one h as direct child of
> any section.

Although, the examples provided for both the h element in section 8.5
and the section element in section 8.8 of the current draft clearly
demonstrate that this is not the intention, because some section
elements contain multiple h elements.

> However the text needs to make the, at most, one h per
> section rule explicit - do I need to propose that formally to get it
> into the system?

Is it really a good idea to mandate one heading per section?  Consider
the following example:

   <h>Heading 1</h>

   <h>Heading 2</h>

If only one heading per section were allowed, then that would also need
to apply to the body element, yet that can't be replaced with markup
like this:
   <h>Heading 1</h>
   <h>Heading 2</h>

The only valid alternative would be to include an additional section
element around each section, leaving no heading as a direct child of
body.  eg.

   <section>
     <h>Heading 1</h>
   </section>