Re: [XHTML2] How are UAs to interpret <h> and <hx> elements?

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Jim Ley wrote:

> I agree that it's under specified, almost all of XHTML 2 is, my comment
> though was based purely on:
>
> " request that the XHTML2 specification include an algorithm that
> exactly defines how to obtain a document outline from a given XHTML2
> document"
>
> Perhaps it's us having a different idea of what a "document outline" is,
> but whilst I want Hx/h/section to be well defined, I don't want a
> specific algorithm for creating document outlines, a user agent should
> be free to use any piece of content etc. in creating a document outline
> to present the user. Of course if by document outline you mean something
> different to me, then fair enough!

I just mean an algorithm that maps every node in the document to its
header, or equivalently every header in the document to the list of nodes
that are in its section, with a definition of how each such "section"
relates to other sections in the document, structurally.

Which happens to be exactly what you need to know to create an outline,
so in the interests of simplicity and clarity I figured it was easier to
just ask for an algorithm for creating an outline.